The State of Oklahoma sponsors this program through the Physician Manpower Training Commission and a rural Oklahoma community (50%-50%) provide matching funds in order to:
- Provide financial assistance to the primary care physician in setting up a practice in a selected community in Oklahoma.
- Provide medical care for citizens of Oklahoma, particularly those in communities of less than 10,000 population.
- Applicant desires to practice in an Oklahoma community that is participating in the Match Program.
- Applicant graduated from an accredited medical or osteopathic college, successfully completed a postdoctoral program in primary care, and preparing to set up initial practice or currently practicing a primary care specialty as approved by the Physician Manpower Training Commission.
- Applicant has not previously received funding through PMTC scholarship programs.
- Applicant has no other assistance which has a conflicting service obligation requirement.
- Specialties other than primary care may be approved by PMTC if a valid need exists in a matching community.
- Applicant must not be currently practicing in a rural Oklahoma community.
- Not currently on a J-1 Visa.
Amount of Loan
$40,000.00 maximum - $20,000 minimum
A lump sum payment provided when the physician begins practice in the matching community.
A minimum of two years of practice in the matching community for each $20,000.00 and a minimum of three years for each $40,000.00 received (50% state funds and 50% community funds). The loan is forgiven after completion of the practice obligation.
If the physician decides not to fulfill his/her practice obligation to a matching community he/she would owe in lump sum the principal, interest and up to 100% penalty.
Due to the rural aspect of the scholarship, communities near Oklahoma City and Tulsa may not qualify for residency location. Please see the list of non-qualifying communities.
Janie S. Thompson, M.Ed.
Physician Programs Coordinator
5500 North Western Avenue, Suite 201
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
T: (405) 843-5667
F: (405) 843-5792